before henry arrived, i read about “must-have” baby items in parenting magazines, baby books, and other blogs. they ranged from sensible things like diapers and wipes (duh) to $1000 strollers. we bought the basics and i ordered a few more things after we got home.
as a new mom, i found the following items extremely helpful, and we use them every day, multiple times a day. every baby is different, but i couldn’t imagine taking care of henry without these things!
- nose frida: we received this strange contraption from one of my coworkers who swore by it. at first i was kind of grossed out; you literally suck the snot out of your child’s nose. but it’s amazing— it works much better than the rubber bulbs. it’s also less invasive; the nose frida doesn’t go inside their nose, just against the nostril.
- zebi blanket: the zebi is a giant muslin swaddle blanket; we have similarly sized aden and anais blankets, too. in the hospital michael and i could not swaddle henry in the receiving blankets. he would kick his legs out and we’d begin the process again. we love the muslin blankets because they stretch and they are lightweight for the texas heat. zebi blankets are pricier but they come in fantastic prints and double as a nursing cover.
- mrs. meyer’s hand soap: we wash our hands constantly. i’m glad i stocked up on mrs. meyer’s soap! we love the geranium, honeysuckle, and bluebell scents.
- baby tee: during the day you’ll usually find henry in a tee shirt, diaper, and little shorts. he’s a very warm child; i checked his temperature constantly the first week just to make sure nothing was wrong. we put him in long sleeve pajamas one night but never again— he absolutely hated it! he probably won’t wear jammies until winter.
- nursing pillow: i own the nursit pillow which is similar to a boppy. it keeps babies at the right angle for nursing, and parents can use the pillow for tummy time and sitting up as the infant gets older. my best friend dana (who just had her second baby!) suggested buying extra covers because inevitably the pillow gets dirty after a couple of days.
what are your product suggestions for new moms?